Dinner, Drinks and the Morning After…

 

Christmas nibbles for us – but not for our dogs

Macadamia nuts: Within 12 hours of eating, macadamia nuts can cause weakness, depression, tremors, vomiting and high body temperature)

Walnuts: one of the most common nut poisonings and causes vomiting

Almonds aren’t toxic, but can cause an upset stomach, not what you want at Christmas

Pecan nuts can cause gastric upset and even obstruction

Pistachio nuts can cause pancreatitis, a painful and very serious condition

If your dog raids the bowl of nuts, or a guest give your dog a treat, then call your vet for advice.


You eat the turkey dinner – your dog gets the bones?

Once cooked, all bones, especially chicken/turkey, become brittle and splinter easily.

If eaten, this can be like swallowing razor blades and can cause incredible pain and damage.

If lots of little bits of bone are eaten, they can jam up inside and cause an obstruction in the gut, which may require surgery.

There are natural diets available; but Christmas dinner left overs are not advisable.


Apricots, Avocado and Tomato


Apricots (and the stones from other fruits such as cherries) contain cyanide which can cause breathing difficulties and death. Best to avoid really.

Avocado too can cause a whole host of problems from breathing difficulties, to vomiting and diarrhoea.

Tomato plants and unripe tomatoes are a digestive system irritant, but in extreme cases they can cause seizures (fits)


Fancy a Drink?

Don’t mind if I do!

But many people think it’s ok or funny to give alcohol to animals, indeed I heard someone on tv talking about it recently.

Dogs and cats are much smaller than a human, so a tiny amount of alcohol can have a big effect.

Alcohol changes many things in the body, including the blood, it can also damage the liver and kidneys.

It may be fatal if the nervous system is slowed down too much and their body temperature falls.

Remember alcohol can be hidden in certain foods and treats..


The Morning After..

For those Christmas hangovers we often have a packet of ibuprofen tablets to hand!


However just 2 tablets could be toxic for a Border Terrier

Keep all tablets out of paws reach!

Speak to a vet as a matter of urgency if your pet has eaten medication it shouldn’t have done.

There are medications which we can give to one species but not others.

If your pet has eaten any tablets, please call your vet for advice ASAP. Pets are not small humans and their bodies work in different ways.


The advice given here is based on my experience as a GP and emergency vet in UK practice.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s