Sago Palm Toxicity 

  
This is a popular uk plant that although decorative, is in fact severely toxic to dogs.
Now that summer is here and we are taking trips to the garden centre, this is plant we may well buy and introduce to our gardens. 

It is a large ornamental garden or conservatory plant, it can also be found as a house ‘bonsi’ plant.

All parts of the plant contain a chemical called cycasin, which when eaten, causes severe liver damage.

  

Damage to the liver can appear as anything from mild vomiting, through to lethargy, jaundice, seizures and even death.

If you have this plant, and you notice any unusual signs in your dog, phone your vet and tell them. 

  

Signs to watch out for:

Drooling

Vomiting

Diarrhoea 

Loss of appetite 

Drinking more

Weakness

Lethargy

Black faeces

Seizures 

Signs can develop anytime from 15 minutes through to 3 days. 

  
The sooner treatment can be started then the greater the chance of a good outcome, although there is a significant risk of death if this plant is eaten.
I need a vet in Surrey
I need a vet in The Midlands

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s